Brukenthal National Museum
. . . . . . .
ro | de
European Art Gallery The Brukenthal Library Romanian Art Gallery Museum of Contemporary Art Museum of History Museum of Natural History Museum of Pharmacy Museum of Hunting Fresco Hall Restoration-Conservation


. Samuel von Brukenthal
. History of Brukenthal Museum
. 195 years of history,
5 years of branding
Baroque and Enlightenment

Brukenthal Palace and the collections put together by Baron Samuel von Brukenthal represent the nucleus of the present Brukenthal National Museum.
Since the baron and his wife had a daughter as the only child (who died at the early age of four) his testamentary dispositions stipulated that, on the death of the last heir in the male line of succession, the entire inheritance was to be placed in the custody of the Evangelical Church of Sibiu while the palace presenting his collections to be open for the public, event that happened in the year 1817.
During the 19th century, the main concern of the Museum was to preserve the extant patrimony, to enlarge the main collections through the means of acquisitions and to establish new collections, especially in the range of the German-Saxon Culture.
In the year 1948, the Museum was nationalized, becoming the property of the communist Romanian state.
In 1948, the Transylvanian Society for the Natural Sciences in Sibiu ceased its activity, the museum under its patronage being included in the national patrimony. In 1957, the Museum of Natural Sciences became a part of the Brukenthal Museum.
The “August von Spiess” Museum of Hunting has its opening in 1966.
1972 is the opening year to the Museum of Pharmacy.
In 1988 was inaugurated the History Section of the Brukenthal National Museum, at present the Museum of History, in the Altemberger House.
The Contemporary Art Gallery of the Brukenthal National Museum is the most recently acquired location (2006).

. .